Political Science Studies
STYLE GUIDELINES FOR PUBLICATION
Headings, Title Pages, Page Numbers, and the Peer-Review Process:
- Political Science Studies is a peer-reviewed journal.
- Include a title page that can be removed by the editor when the paper is sent out for review.
- The title page should include the author’s name, academic affiliation, and contact information.
- Your manuscript should include page numbers at the bottom of the page; however, do not include any information that might identify the author in this footer.
Formatting Guidelines, General:
- Your submission should be typed in 12 point Times New Roman.
- Your submission should be double spaced with 1” margins.
- The paper should be in APA format. APA uses in-text citations; for example:
- Hoppin and Taveras (2004) have noted …
- Although some iron triangles are still evident today, subsystems can take on a variety of forms depending on the strategies used by subsystem participants (Stein & Bickers, 1995).
- For more information about APA citation style, please consult Research and Documentation Online (a.k.a., the Diana Hacker database) at: http://www.dianahacker.com/resdoc/.
- Use endnotes for additional explanatory information. Please keep your use of notes to a minimum. Please use the insert command in Word to do the endnotes. Number your endnotes as 1, 2, 3, etc. [Hint: Insert > Reference > Footnotes, then toggle “endnotes” and “end of document” in the footnote menu.]
- Include your reference list at the end of the paper. As per APA format, you do not need to list the full first name of the authors; initials will suffice.
- Due to space limitations, please keep your paper to 25 pages or less.
Formatting Guidelines, Tables:
- Please include your tables in a separate Word file.
- In your paper, mark the insertion point for the table with the statement “Insert Table X Here.”
- All tables should be numbered and titled.
- Please format your tables according to APA style. You can find sample tables starting on p. 162 of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (5th Edition).
Formatting Guidelines, Figures:
- Flowcharts and other graphics should be submitted in a separate Word file.
- In your paper, mark the insertion point for the graphic with the statement “Insert Figure X Here.”
- Please submit these graphics as JPEG or GIF files.
- If you make a flowchart in Power Point, you can save this file as a JPEG. [Hint: File > Save As. In the “Save as type” drop down menu, select “JPEG File Interchange Format.”]
- Please submit your paper to the editor via e-mail attachment. If you do not have e-mail access, you may mail a CD with your file on it.
- All electronic files should be formatted for PCs.
- All files should be in a format that can be opened by Word 2007. The “suffix” on the document title should be either .doc, .docx, or .rtf.
- Submit your manuscript for publication consideration within 30 days of the conference.
- Your manuscript will be forwarded to two members of our editorial review board.
- Because of the upcoming break, the review process may take up to 90 days.
- Once your paper has been reviewed, the editor will return your manuscript to the address included on your title page. If your paper has been selected for inclusion in the journal, you will have 60 days to make any revisions.
- Faculty members who work at Indiana institutions who presented their papers at the annual IPSA meeting.
- Faculty members who work at institutions outside of Indiana who presented their papers at the annual IPSA meeting.
- Faculty members who are members of the IPSA who did not attend the annual meeting of the IPSA, but have paid their dues for the year.
- Students, graduate or otherwise, who presented their papers at the annual meeting of the IPSA.
- All other submissions as space allows.
INDIVIDUALS WHO PUBLISH IN POLITICAL SCIENCE STUDIES ARE PERMITTED TO SELF-ARCHIVE A COPY OF THEIR PUBLICATION INTO AN INSTITUTIONAL REPOSITORY.